Thursday, 31 May 2007
There are altogether seven strips of the brown edging, one strip of the salmon/orange and one of the dark brown. Like the tatting shown earlier the edgings were all made with Coats cotton in size 20. As for the unfinished doily, I am not sure what thread was used but it is much thicker than the edging.
Am not sure what I can do with them.
Tuesday, 29 May 2007
(This may not be the final layout - I am still toying with other ideas, so you may get see some changes to it later)
And for starters, currently I am working on a crochet tablecloth for my big dining table. This is going to be long project. After doing some calculations, this tablecloth will take me about 5 months to complete at the rate I am going now. Here is what I have completed so far.
Progress pics will be shown from time to time. And to see how far I've done, there is a progress chart in the sidebar.
Thursday, 17 May 2007
But ..... back to the interesting stuff...
Among the many things that she sorted through, she came across three very old tatting edgings. Two were completed while the third was in progress with the shuttle and ball still attached. Looking at the torn label on the ball, I can barely figured out that the thread is Coats mercerised crochet cotton in size 20. And the shuttle must be an old clover because I remember using something like it a long time ago when I first started tatting. That was over 35 years ago and I am guessing that these pieces are almost that old.
I found the clover edging (at the bottom) very simple yet interesting. I made a small portion of the design by counting the ds on the old one. I don't know how it was made originally but I did it with two shuttles. Mine is the larger one in the middle. The unfinished one right at the top looks familiar - I might have seen it on some tatting site somewhere.
Along with the tatting there is another interesting find - not tatting though. It is something that my MIL made to give away to guests at the wedding reception when I married her son. Just to let you all know, my MIL is very good at crafts and she particularly like to make flowers out of all kind of material - fabric, straws, beads, etc. Traditionally, in the custom of the Malays, guests are given hard-boiled eggs placed in decorative containers. And in this case, she made them in the shape of armchairs with padded cushion with the egg nestled in it. What do you think of this?
The frame of the armchair was made using cording with pliable wires in it. I remember watching her making it during the preparation for the wedding.
Thursday, 10 May 2007
Well, I made and joined the second motif to the first one . . . . and started to feel not so happy with it. I was using a size 4 hook for it and it sort of came out rather stiff.
So I unpicked the whole thing and got myself a size 2 hook, which is slightly larger, and did the two panels again and this is how it looked. It looked and felt okay and so I continued with the third panel, but I didn't finish it.
You see .... the unsatisfied feeling was still lingering. Finally, I came to the conclusion that it was the thread that I was not happy about. It is expected I suppose. The thread is acrylic. After having worked with cotton for my tatting for so long, anything less would not feel so nice, except for maybe silk. I couldn't afford silk thread yet, make that ever!
So, I just thought, make or break, I have to get cotton thread for this tablecloth and got one from the store near my house. Don't ask me how much it costs, it still hurts whenever I think about it. But, I am consoling myself with how good it feels every time I touch it. And I am making sure that the finished piece will stand the time and be a family heirloom.
Because of this change, I decided on another design for the tablecloth - something that is rather quick and has a lot of air in between. You see, I am trying to make something that is quite large but at the same time doesn't use much thread. Stingy me!! Well, it didn't take long to make a motif actually, about two hours in front of the telly.
This is how it looks with four motifs done and joined together.
Each motif measures about 8.25 inches or 21cm diameter. The blank space in the centre will be filled up with a smaller motif. I have not done that yet because I was thinking of doing it in a different colour - and I have not decided on the colour yet.
As for the previous acrylic thread, all is not wasted. I only bought a few balls of it initially and now my daughter is using it to make a bag for herself.