Dimpled Edging - Pattern

Okay, here it is - the chart and pattern for the Dimpled Chain Edging. It took a while because I couldn't figure out how to transfer a word document into a jpeg file so that I can upload the chart here. Had to ask my daughter and she did it in a blink. Had to ask her to show it to me again so that I can do it myself the next time, LOL.

Please note that this edging is made up of chains only.
sp - small picot
vsp - very small picot
RW - reverse work
DNR - do not reverse
SLT - shoe lace trick

The pattern
Wind a shuttle from a ball CTM

The straight side
1. Start with a picot at the beginning of the first chain. I used a paperclip to hold the thread for a mock picot. C(6 sp 3-3 sp 5+3-3 sp-6+), where
1st join is to the previous sp of the chain;
2nd join to the mock picot left after the paperclip is removed from the chain. RW and SLT.
2. * C(3-3 sp 5+3-2), join to the sp of the same chain. RW and SLT.
3. Make a downward facing picot at the beginning of the next chain.
4. # C(5+3-3 sp 5+3-3 sp 6+),
1st join to the sp of the previous dimpled chain; 2nd join to the sp picot of the same chain; 3rd join to the downward picot at the beginning of the chain. RW and SLT.

Repeat from * for the length of the straight side.

The corner
5. After #, make C(3-3 sp 5+3 vsp 3). RW and SLT.
6. Make a downward picot at the beginning of the next chain, followed by (6+3-3 sp 5+3-3 sp 6+). Joining as in Step 4. DNR.
7. C(6+3-3 sp 5+3-3 sp 6+), 1st and 2nd join as in Step 4; 3rd join to the same downward picot joined earlier. RW and SLT.
8. C(3+3 sp 5+3-3), 1st join to the adjacent vsp; 2nd join to the sp of the same chain. RW and SLT.

Continue from # for the straight side until you are ready to make the next corner.

Additional Note
If you study the chart, you'll realise that this edging can also be tatted up similar to making the standard ring-and-chain, except that now the rings and chains have dimples in them.

But, I don't fancy the idea of having to close loads of dimpled rings. Working with chains are whole lot easier because I don't have to worry about closing any rings. For those who want to try it that way, Jane Eb has drawn up a neat method on how to close dimpled rings.

Please test out the pattern for me and point out any corrections that needs to be done. I got confused myself when writing this out, especially with the RWs and the SLTs.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this pattern, Jon! I'm in the middle of several projects right now, but I hope to try this pattern soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take your time Diane, only when you are ready, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can't wait to try this. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I am glad your daughter is there to help you learn. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your pattern, Jon. It's beautiful, I've got to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you've been busy! Nice edging - I wonder how it would look all in white - like for a bride's hanky? I've already started the hanky for my DIL-to-be or I would have tried!
    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this pattern, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice of you to share this pattern! I'll have to try it some time, it looks intriguing! Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it