Oh Darn! Not at this point.

Another exasperated tatter!  Can you see what is causing this?


I was so eager to finish this last repeat of the motif.  When I reached the last chain, then only I realised that I had made it short of one picot.  That chain should have 5 picots and I made this one with only four.  Worse still, I started the next round at this 4-picots chain.

If I had noticed it early on, I would have saved the time (and thread) and start the first round all over again.  I don't think I could have corrected it because I had cut off the thread after that first round.  This is destined to the bin ... after I have salvaged the beads, that is, :)

In case anyone is wondering,
"Now, why did she leave the centre gaping and empty like that?"

Well, I started this with Round 2 followed by Round 3.  Round 1 is to come after I had completed Round 3.  I suppose you can say that I am working this motif outside-in as opposed to the usual working of inside-out.  This is a sketch of what it would have looked like when finished, drawn on a polar graph paper.


I deliberately started on the middle round because by doing so, I will not be restricted by any stitch counts.  If I had done the centre first, I had to really gauge the stitch counts of the next two rounds so that they fit in with the centre.  If they are small in number, the motif will cup up and if more, I will end up with ruffles. It is possible for me to do that here because the rings in the middle round are not joined to each other.

If everything had gone as planned, when I finished the outer round, I just need to see how big the gap in the middle is and close it up with a suitable design.  Looking at the tatting that I had done so far, before I realised the blunder, the centre may turn out different from the sketch.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

Comments

  1. And you were almost done with the round--how very frustrating. It is a beautiful design. It would look great tatted around a small, round picture frame. I can easily imagine it with lots of different centers. Inspiring piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you have and before I read about it I had thought you left the center open to use like a picture frame and with what you have it would be awesome to do that and it could hang on a Christmas tree as an ornament beautifully(at least I think so). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess that I like the open center. Sorry about the missing picot- done that before! What is polar graph paper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LIKE the shape that was happening before disaster struck!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a shame and you were going so well! Cant wait to see try no2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frustrating, I know. But the pattern does look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is meant to be another snowflake. If my count is correct this would have been #46 out of 60 that I have before October this year. I am maing them for a friend.

    But, your comments triggered an idea in my head which I will try out later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victats,
    Polar graph paper, instead of squares like the normal graph paper, is made up concentric rounds with lines coming out from the centre. The lines mark out the sectors of the graph paper, whether they be in fours, fives, sixes and so on. I use the polar graph paper to draw sketches of my designs. The circles and lines help me position the repeats of the designs, for example a six-lines polar graph is used to sketch snowflakes. You can print the polar graph paper from this site.

    You can also place the polar graph under a transparent plastic film like clingwrap and use it on your blocking board. The circles and lines will help you with getting your tatting into their proper shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh - so that is how you design for tatting? Always wondered how and hopefully, I can design my own.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it