Norma Benporath pattern No. 2

After the Lace Mat Doily of the last post, my 2nd Norma Benporath project is Dainty Border For an Oval Doyley.  I will not be tatting the full doily, only sufficient repeats to be able to understand the flow of the pattern. I must say that this one was a challenge to me.

This lace edging has three rounds.  Following the instructions (edited text), Rows 1 and 2 were a breeze.  When it came to the last row, I had to think as a designer and try to figure out how it should be.  The instruction was totally off.  Where I think there would be a mirror image, one ring turned out bigger than the previous ring.  A join was missing at one point where I thought there should be one.  If you follow the link, you can see that the scan photo did not help at all.  This is what I finally worked out after the 4th try.
I started on another attempt, but this time I made some changes to replace parts that I was not happy with. I replaced the bare thread in the first row with chains. The second row have arches made up of chains with picots. When I made the clovers resting on the arches, the picots in the chains and the picots of the rings of the clover overlap each other and the design sort of got lost somewhere.  So I made the chains curve the other way which I think turned out more pleasing.
Unfortunately the scan of the 2nd try did not turn up so clearly but I hope you can see where I made it differently.

Actually, just these two rows made up a pretty edging by themselves.  And the reason for saying that is, the last row is still giving problems for me, he he he . . . .



Comments

  1. That's an amazing and interesting newspaper page from 1934, and from the famous Norma Benporah, but that scan is really 'rough'! I can't believe you could read it at all, and the photo is definitely not clear! Your third row is an excellent design and looks better than the original, to me!

    I do like the chains much better than the single thread, and yes, the two rounds DO make a great edging. But I do like what you've done so far in the third round! Very elegant!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it