Continuing with the NB Doily

After a slight detour, which I will write about later in the post, I have picked up the NB doily again, to start on Round 4.

This round is made up of scallops (or half-wheels).  To recap from earlier, if following the original instructions, there are many cuts-and-ties in this round.  I have reduced that by tatting part of Round 4 in Round 3, as I wrote here.

There are some interesting observation here.  Based on the scanned image from the website, the scallop should have seven small inside rings and seven large outside rings.  But, the way that the scallop is tatted, I can't see how there can be equal number of inner and outer rings in it.  This is my first attempt of the scallop,
Seven inner rings will only give me six outer rings, where as the pattern requires seven outer rings.  After much thought, I modified the scallop as below to get one extra outer ring to prepare for the next round.  But, int he process, I had to also  increase the inner ring to eight instead of seven.
The finished scallop lay quite flat and not ruffling even with the extra rings so I will stick with this.

Here is a picture of the two version side by side,

I was also trying to see of this round of scallops can be done with one round.  I thought I can tat the last ring on one scallop as a SSSR and jump to the first ring of the next scallop also with a SSSR.  But, I have not found a way of tatting SSSR when there are joins in the SSSR.  So, the scallops here will be done individually and loads of end to hide, :(
In the course of tatting this Norma Benporath pattern, I was inspired to design a new motif which resulted with this design here.  When I see the void on the centre, my first thought was "a doodad!" and who better to test it than the two doodad trailblazers, Fox and Diane.  I think they have done a wonderful job with the design as can be seen here tatted by Fox and this version by Diane.  Thank you ladies! I could not have done it better myself.

Comments

  1. There is a way to do the SSSR with joins which may help. I was lucky enough to get involved in solving the conundrum along with gang of others. Here's the link in case you want to try it.
    http://www.janeeborall.freeservers.com/SSSRjoin.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took a look at the link and a slap at my forehead - why didn't I think of looking at Jane's list of techniques, there is bound to be something there.
      Thank you Jane, I will try that out. I am only at the second scallop so it will be good if I can work this out as per your instructions.

      Delete
  2. Your new motif is lovely. But I do worry , just a little, about the doodads - ( we call them fixings here ) - won't the thread eventually break against the metal? - as a certain amount of tension and movement is inevitable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say about those that that Fox or Diane are using, but I would think that fraying will happen only if there are rough edges in the doodads. I have seen in some blog those with smooth rounded edges, I suppose those type will be alright.

      Delete
  3. I'm really enjoying seeing the progress of your NB doily. I usually prefer odd numbers, but looking at your scallops side-by-side, I think I prefer the scallop with six rings on the outside. Maybe it's because of the way the colors flow.

    Thanks for asking me to test-tat your new pattern. It was great fun, but I'm enjoying the second one much more. Sometimes it pays to have fewer joins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next part of the design requires it to be joined to the centre ring of the scallop and it will not fit in if there are only six outer rings.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it