JS Doiy Model 13 Round 3 Completed

But not without a slight hiccup just before the end.

So, as in the previous post, I started over Round 3 because I noticed a mistake right at the beginning of the round.  The re-worked round looks much better.

As it seems to happen often to me, I ran out of the shuttle thread real close to the end,

There was only 5 inches of thread left for two rings and two chains.  I could use the SLT at this point and continue tatting but it would distort the shape at the base of the trefoil. So, I loaded the shuttle and finished the round.

After so many years of tatting, I don't particularly pay special attention to the amount of thread needed for any project.  I just loaded the shuttles and start tatting.  For a large project such as this JS doily, you can't escape running out of shuttle/ball thread.

But, it does help a lot to know the different methods of adding new thread.  I think knowing the techniques of adding new thread is one of the basic skills that every tatter should know. There are many tutorials available online showing the various method.
I wrote a tutorial on the knotless method in my How-To page here,
Jane Eborall included one in her techniques page as well.
Karen Cabrera shared a video tutorial of another method of adding thread.

Tatting is suppose to be enjoyed and running out of thread is not going to spoil that for me.

Comments

  1. That doily is already very beautiful!!! :) Can't wait to see your finished doily!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I'm working on the fourth motif of the fifth round but it is slow going. The final join in each motif has me standing on my head to get correct. I have a long airplane trip coming up at the end of the month and I hope to make some real progress then. Love seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! You can waste time and energy unless you just join in that new thread and get on with it. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The doily is looking beautiful and I am pleased you were able to sort out the problem.
    In answer to your question I have the same thing on my blog two unexpected countries are mounting up visits?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it